Friday, April 6, 2012

The Master Bedroom -- Gulp

So, I can hardly believe that I'm posting these pictures on the internet.  Most of the time, when people post strange pictures design-wise, it comes with a giant "before" stamped somewhere on the picture.  I'd love to say that these are before pics, but since I don't really have any after pics (and no major plans to make an after happen anytime soon), I feel that that would be dishonest.  No, people, this is just my bedroom.

It's not that there aren't some little plans in the works.  This is why I'm writing this post, as a matter of fact.  I'll get to that part later.  But, largely, what you'll see here is what we'll be living with for awhile.  Sigh.

So.  The Master Bedroom.  This is one gigantic room, with one gigantic bathroom to the left as you walk in.  I don't really have any bathroom pics for you today, but I took all of these pictures while standing in the doorway to the bathroom.

This is our bed.  This bed is part of the suite that my husband bought 10 years ago (used).  If you look carefully, you'll see that the headboard completely matches the laminate cabinets that I painted here.  Imagine those cabinets on either side of this bed.  Do you see why I had to get them out of here?  Even if I don't do anything further to this room, the fact that they're gone just makes me so supremely happy.

I'm not the biggest fan of the headboard.  It's not that it couldn't be doctored up into something cool, it's just that it's not something I would have chosen.  It does have hidden storage, though, so from that end it's super practical.  And Dave loves all things practical... in other words, he doesn't want to get rid of this headboard. So...


...one of the small-ish plans that I'm going to be tackling within the next week or so is adding some upholstery to it and painting the sides and top a creamy white.  I bought some fabric at Jo Ann's (30% off) the other day and when I came home I threw it up there just to see how it might look.


I wanted something with a subtle pattern and something that would tie into the bedspread.  I love this bedspread, by the way.  It counters the other crazy colors in the room.  For some strange reason, we painted the walls yellow with an orange accent wall.  I loved it for about a week.  Then I realized that it was a little bit garish.  Then I realized it was a lot garish.  But we probably won't be repainting them anytime soon, unless I do it myself.  And since I won't be climbing any ladders in my 3rd trimester (and likely won't feel like messing with it when attending to a newborn), this is what we have to work with.  And I do think these colors could work... if the furniture were different and if we didn't have green carpet on the floors.  All in good time.  That's our motto around here.  

After putting the fabric up, I got kind of antsy to fix some other problems in the room.  The problems being the amount of stuff that we had just thrown into corners (I've spared you some before pics of this situation, but trust me, it wasn't pretty).  Oh, and I decided that the time had come to give us some side tables.  So I transferred these little guys into the bedroom.  They were in the entryway before.


Then I decided that I was done with the flower picture above my headboard.  This was the picture that inspired the whole color scheme on the walls, by the way.  Turns out I love it in small doses and not so much in large doses.  I moved the picture and put those black and white numbers there in its place.  Those may be completely temporary.  Mostly, they're just there as a placeholder until I find something that I truly love.


But I still really like the flower picture.  I bought this for $5 at a yard sale a couple years ago, and I have no intention of getting rid of it.  So I moved it over by the window.  I like it over there much better.  So much happier to look at.  Oh, and yes, I know I have no curtains (the blinds are pulled up to let in light).  Adding some real window treatments is one of the small-ish things I'd like to do in the near future.


Here's a wider shot of that side of the room.  Again, please ignore the curtain on the door.  Real window treatments are coming.  This side of the room was a complete mess right before I took this photo.  It was impossible to see where the wall met the floor.  I spent about an hour and a half cleaning it up.  The boxes that you see beside the bed are destined for out attic; they just haven't made it up there, yet.  I'd love to add some seating to this are at some point... maybe a little table.  But for now, I like the openness of having all that stuff that we've been storing cleared out.


I dislike this bookshelf.  But we do have a lot of books and we do need to put them somewhere.  I'd love to get a different shelf which adds some interest to the room.  I'm currently looking on Craigslist for that, so if I find one, I'll post some update pics.  For now, though, I arranged the books in a way that pleases me, so this isn't such an eyesore anymore.


So that's it.  My master bedroom.  Thanks for taking a minute to check things out.  Stay tuned for some of those changes!

Thanks for reading!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love reading your comments!