Friday, February 3, 2012

So Cheesy...

So, last week Dave and I celebrated four amazingly quick years together.  Seriously, I can't believe that we've already been married four years.  Of course, it makes sense when you think about the timeline we've been on: married; pregnant four months later; new baby one year after marriage; pregnant - again - four months after that; one toddler and one newborn two years after marriage; breathe (whew!); pregnant last fall. Stop.  Not really.  Because soon we'll have four years and three babies under our belt.  I know.  We really know how to pack it in.

Anyway, I found this idea to draw portraits of each other awhile back and I'm sorry to say that I have no idea which blog it came from.  But I loved the idea, as cheesy as it is.  So, in preparation for our date night, I bought a large pack of crayolas, a new pad of drawing paper, and two inexpensive black frames.  

Dave was such a good sport.  Art isn't really his thing.  He loves building - woodworking and using tools.  But drawing?  Not so much.  

When I suggested this idea for date night, he laughed and said, "Okay, if you don't mind looking like a Picasso."  I didn't.  After all, neither of us are artists.  These weren't supposed to impress anyone with our drawing prowess.  It was just supposed to be fun.

And it was!  I totally enjoyed it.  And I think it could be fun to make this a tradition -- to see how we age through the years, as interpreted by two non-artists such as ourselves.

This was Dave's finished piece.  He said that profiles are easier.  This was actually his second attempt.  In the first (which is on the back of this drawing), he said that he made me look like the Michelin man.  At the very least I looked like I had a shrunken head.  For real.  I was wearing a poncho and I guess the poncho dwarfed my little head.  I thought this one turned out pretty good, though. :)


And this one was my finished piece.  After I finished, Dave's first comment was, "Wow, have I gained that much weight?"  I didn't see it at the time, but the next day when I looked at it again, I saw what he meant: I made his face waaay too wide and short.  In reality, he's pretty long and lean.  Ahh, well.


I'm so hanging these guys on the wall.  I love them.  I have a grouping of pictures and art in my hallway, and I've already mapped out a place for them.  This project was definitely a keeper. Yay!  I love when things turn out the way I imagined!

Thanks for reading!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love reading your comments!